Friday, November 11, 2016

Life on a Ferris Wheel

 

Do you ever feel as if you live life on a fast moving Ferris Wheel? 
Slinging faster and faster around and around high above the ground without a way to get off?
Bordering on out of control?
Am I the only one who finds myself at the top, rocking back and forth, heart racing, head pounding, trying not to crash? 

On the other hand, if life were always calm and predictable, sane and without surprises, I'd probably complain of terminal boredom.
What are the options when that overwhelming out-of-control-Ferris-Wheel-feeling threatens to take away the day's peace and joy and sense of well-being? 
Go back to bed and hide?  Not always and option.
Push my personal state of mind onto those around me?  Very easy to do, but not commendable.
Give up and declare I can't handle any of this [whatever it is] any more?  Tempting, but makes things harder for others who have to pick up the pieces of what I scatter around in my wake.    



OR ...           
I can access the peace that is available to me as one justified by my faith alone because "we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" (Romans 5:1).

I can rest assured that "Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases" (Psalm 115:3).
I can remember that "In his hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind" (Job 12:10).

I can understand that our "God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control"
(II Timothy 1:7).


I can listen when He tells me, "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world”(John 16:33).

I can rejoice in the truth "That people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the Lord, and there is no other. I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things" (Isaiah 45:6-7).

I can pray, "Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and you are exalted as head above all" (I Chronicles 29:11).

I can accept His promise that "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid" (John 14:27).

No comments:

Post a Comment